Photo Gallery
Structurally, the house, as shown in this 1965 photo taken from Bravo Lane looking west, has not changed dramatically since the 19th century.
The restoration, shown in this current photo, returned the house to its appearance, including the same paint scheme, during its Third Architectural Phase.

This photo looking north on Aviles Street was taken in 1940. Note that the entrance to the garden was walled up.
Today the gate through the garden wall serves as the entrance to the Father Miguel O'Reilly House Museum.

In 1896 horse and carriage was the primary mode of transportation. Note also the absence of shutters on the windows.
Trains and trolleys now take visitors around town. The Ximenez-Fatio House is still barely visible in the background.

This 1870 photo of the house looking south on Aviles Street, shows a group of small children watching a horse and cart before the school day begins.
More than 130 years later, the image of the children is still a vivid part of the memories that the Father O'Reilly House summons up in those who visit the museum.

Left: This sketch of the O'Reilly House shows the immediate need for repairs just prior to the Third Architectural Phase.
The current photo shows how the house may have looked following the improvements at the time the Sisters took possession.

The oldest structure in St. Augustine is the fort, Castillo de San Marcos, built of tabby and coquina and originally painted white.
Today very little of the whitewash remains, but beyond that the fort looks much the same as it has for well over 300 years.

At the time of this sketch, the Government House, built in 1713 as the Governor's residence, was being used as the post office.
Today the Government house, overlooking the Plaza, is a museum. Juan Carlos I of Spain spoke from the balcony in 2001.

Twenty years after this sketch was made, the Cathedral would be destroyed by fire. The façade and walls were left standing.
When the Cathedral was rebuilt within a year of the fire, the Bell Tower in the foreground, a gift of Henry Flagler, was added.

Since 1808, the twin-towered City Gate, with the decorative pomegranates added in 1818, has been the main entrance to St. Augustine.
Even since colonial times the main street in St. Augustine has been St. George Street, originally called Government Street.

Trinity Episcopal Church was constructed in 1825. At the time of this sketch, viewed from across the Plaza, it still retained its original configuration.
At first glance today, the church looks much the same, but upon closer inspection one can see that the nave was added later to accommodate an entrance on St. George Street.

Burials in what is now the National Cemetery began in earnest at the end of the Second Seminole War. The obelisk honors those that died in battle.
In 1881 the burial ground south of the Military Barracks, originally the Franciscan convent, was designated a national Cemetery.

© 2004 Sisters of St. Joseph, St. Augustine, Florida