In the display case along the east wall is a book from the 1800s with biographies of the popes. Displayed with the book are the shoes of Saint Pius X, which were given as a gift to the Sisters in the early 1900s.
In the northwest corner is a life-size statue of St. Teresa of Avila for whom the Sisters have a special devotion, as her feast day, October 15, is also the anniversary of the founding of the Sisters of St. Joseph. St. Teresa died on that day in 1582, 17 years after the founding of St. Augustine, and the order of the Sisters of St. Joseph were founded on that day in 1650, 41 years before the O’Reilly House was built.
Each of the Bishops of St. Augustine are represented in some way in the room, including the current bishop, Victor Galeone. The copy of “A Catechism from the Council of Trent” on display has been in his family for over three hundred years. You can learn more about the men who were successors to Augustin Verot as Bishop of St. Augustine by going to thefirstparish.org, the website of the Cathedral-Basilica of Saint Augustine.